problems with using compiler::*split-files*...

	Hello all,

	As the subject states, I'm having a problem with using the
*split-files* variable.  I'm trying to port some old franz lisp source to akcl
1.530. When I setq this variable to some integer, it returns an error message
like :

[...]
No FASL generated.
Compiling parser/parser.lsp.
Error: (SECOND COMPILER::*SPLIT-FILES*) is not a symbol.
Error signalled by SETQ.
Broken at SETQ.  Type :H for Help.

Where *split-files* is set to 25000. I looked at the source, and there's
nothing blatenly wrong that I can see.

	I was hoping that if someone else has come across this problem, that
they might have a fix for it.  Or it maybe that I'm just plain using it in the
wrong way.

	Thanks allot for any replies,
	greg

--
Greg Sylvain			UUCP: 			...!{uunet}!umbc3!greg
Academic Computing Services	Internaet (arpa): 	greg@umbc3.umbc.edu