dbl.el

JD> Could someone please explain what this "dbl" mode is supposed to
JD> do and how it works.

I am no expert with dbl but, I have used it some and find it to be
very useful.

Basically, dbl is almost identical to gdb mode. So, check out the
gdb.el docs to get the basic idea. Also, use find-doc to find the
entry for source-level-debug.

When you start dbl, you are dropped into a shell and should start up
the kcl image of your choice. Then, as you would with gdb and a c
file, get a lisp file into a buffer (e.g. "foo.lsp").

Before you go setting break points, load "foo.lsp" with the si::nload
function which loads the file and keeps line number info for dbl. Now,
you are ready to set break points with C-x SPACE on the line of
foo.lsp where you want to break.

Once you hit the breakpoint, as with gdb, dbl unburies the buffer of
foo.lsp and puts a pointer (=>)on the break-point. From here you can
step, move up and down the stack etc. See the mode docs for the
specifics here. Also, dbl only works with nload-ed files that are
running interpreted.

I hope that this gives you some idea about how to use this tool. If
there are more specific questions, drop me a line.

Chris Whatley - UT-Austin Mathematics  | Luncheon Special: Broiled hothouse
Ph: 512/471-7107(O),499-0475(H)	       | tomato under generous slice of ripe
E-mail: chari@{math,emx,cs}.utexas.edu | cheese
	chari@gnu.ai.mit.edu           |