tracing in kcl

Anyone:

We have recently installed kyoto common lisp in a lab of decstation 4000's.
It appears to work fine except that we have been unable to get the trace
macro to work. The system variables *standard-output*, *terminal-io* and
*trace-output* appear to point to the right synonyms and two-way stream
and (trace) will tell us what functions are trace'd but the tracing does
not seem to actually happen, e.g.
dec5kb[17]% kcl
AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp)  Version(1.615) Tue Aug 24 15:12:08 CST 1993
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

>(setq *print-case* :downcase)
:downcase

>(defun flat (x)
  (cond ((atom x) (list x))
       (t (mapcan 'flat x))))
flat

>(trace flat)
(flat)

>(trace)
(flat)

>(flat '(a ((b) c)))
(a b c)

>(trace)
(flat)

>(bye)
Bye.
dec5kb[18]%

any suggestions???  we are not expert lisp or unix hacker unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.

nick cercone