Re: amazing...

Gee, it looks like we're rediscovering typed languages here (and I'm
not referring to compiled languages; there are plenty of typed,
interpreted languages resembling Lisp: ECL, PPL, POP-2, etc).  You
know, people have agonized over these decisions hundreds of times in
as many languages: how to deal with characters, how objects should
print, etc., and they've come up with some reasonable methods for
dealing with them in clean ways.  Lisp is truly a wonderful language;
too bad it's taken so long to start facing these issues.