Re: I suppose I have to put in my two cents about DEFSUBST

There is, of course, a software engineering tradeoff as to whether you
want to have to be somewhat careful about defining your open-codable
functions so that simple textual substitution works, or whether you
would rather have an unusably slow compiler.  The Lisp machine chose
the former alternative although as the feasible memory size and
processor power for a personal computer gradually increase the
alternative of "doing it right" may become attractive.  "Doing it
wrong" is not VERY wrong of course or we wouldn't have done it.