Re: /\

For the LISPM at least, it would seem to me that it'd be winning
to allow the user to specify the quote character in the -*- line,
just like the base is specified there when nonstandard.  People
could then convert individual files at any time, and then update
the -*- line.  Some distant day in the future could change the
default, and then people that didn't want to be bothered would
simply have to put specify \ there.  Unfortunately, I don't think
this would help Maclisp users much.