Re: /\ vote

I favor the change.  As to the argument about old code breaking, well
that happens to me often enough anyway.  I occasionally change
definitions of private macros and utilities whose effects percolate to
old code from time to time. I agree with RWK that // is confusing to
beginners as well as being a constant annoyance to seasoned hackers.

We should come up with a decision procedure for deciding whether to go
ahead with this change since it seems opinions are divided.