a lisp without cons is not like a day without sunshine

I think it is a feature that one can create an obarray without
cons.  You can do it by (remob 'cons) also. Applications built
on top of lisp have been known to remob  (in effect) lots of things.
This is only marginally related to c*r, it seems. If you really want
to change the semantics of cons and c*r, you will have to talk
to compiler writers, too.

I think arbitrary function-name hacking could be (nicely?)
supported in Interlisp, via DWIM: on undef. function,
editor commands which do intra-name pattern
matching could be called into play.   I am not advocating
this, necessarily.