slides for meeting

The following slides are my proposed presentation for the meeting.
Our time slot is Wednesday. Handouts to everyone will include the
two issues to be voted on and the sections that are "done" and
"almost done" that I listed for you last week. So as the following
slides are being presented, the audience can be flipping through
the relevant part of the standard.

It seems important to get the committee to agree that the standard is
ready to be reviewed. This is the first step to voting it out of
X3J13. The idea of this presentation is to make the massive document
that is the standard easier to navigate for the first-time reader.

Please change these slides to your liking, but I'll need the
changes no later than Thursday midday (Eastern time). Sorry for
such a short review time. I was out on Monday and so had some
catching up to do.

Thanks for your help.

kathy

\documentstyle[overhead]{article}
\begin{document}
\TITLEFONT{\bsf}
\SLIDETITLE{\it Standard Status, June, 1989}
\SLIDEFOOT{\hfill \Digital}

\VSLIDE{Working Draft American National Standard for
Information Systems - Programming Language Common Lisp }
\begin{center}
June 28, 1989
\end{center}
\vfill

\VSLIDE{Overview}
\begin{itemize}
\item CONFORMANCE-POSITION and EXTRA-RETURN-VALUES
\item Road-map to the standard
\item Summary of sections 2.2, 5.1, and the Glossary
\item Outline of sections 4.1 and 4.2
\item The schedule
\end{itemize}

\VSLIDE{CONFORMANCE-POSITION and EXTRA-RETURN-VALUES}
\begin{itemize}
\item Vote
\end{itemize}

\VSLIDE{Road-map to the standard}
\begin{itemize}
\item Important fonts for navigation are the glossary font
and the data type font
\item To understand a ``defined name''
\begin{itemize}
\item Read section 6.1
\item Locate defined name description in TOC or index
\item Read all associated ``See Also'' references, especially
the section references
\end{itemize}
\item To understand a concept
\begin{itemize}
\item Concepts apply to categories of functions
\item Concepts currently defined: types, reading, evaluation, compilation,
conditions, object system concepts, I/O, generalized reference
\item Concepts are explained in chapters 2-5:
Chapter 2---types and object system concepts; Chapter 3---reading;
Chapter 4---evaluation, compilation and condition system concepts;
Chapter 5---conditions, I/O, generalized reference
\end{itemize}
\end{itemize}

%% David, would you like to present this one?
\VSLIDE{Summary of section 2.2}
\begin{itemize}
\item Similar to CLtL chapters 2 and 4, heavily modified by issues
\item Data type definitions: includes all CLOS and condition types
described in order of appearance in the diagram.
\item Data type hierarchy
%% All four hierarchy charts will be presented
\item Relationships between types
\item Rules that affect creation of new types
\item Type specifiers
%% Type specifier syntax diagrams will be presented
\item Controversial interpretations?
\end{itemize}

%% Dick, would you like to present this one?
\VSLIDE{Summary of section 5.1}
\begin{itemize}
\item Follows Condition System rev. 18 adopted by X3J13 last year
\item Error terms in section 1.4
\item Condition type hierarchy in section 2.2
\item Definition of terminology used in conjunction with conditions:
situation, error, signalling, handler
\item Summary of condition creation: functions used and their arguments
\item Restarts: description and semantics of active restarts
\item Printing: report methods, limitations
\item Assertions: description and list of applicable defined names
\item Debugging: list of applicable utilities
\end{itemize}

%% Dick, would you like to present this one?
\VSLIDE{Summary of the Glossary}
\begin{itemize}
\item Formatted dictionary-style
\item Contains definitions for object system terms since their
definition and use are spread over multiple chapters
\item Defines idiomatic, computer, and mathematical usage where applicable
\item Some defined terms are: accessible, binding, bound declaration,
control form, dynamic environment, environment, establish, evaluation,
exit point, free declaration, keyword, lambda list keyword, lexical closure,
mapping, name, top level form
\end{itemize}

%% David, would you like to present this section?
\VSLIDE{Outline of section 4.1}
\begin{itemize}
\item New organization of CLtL material prefaced by an evaluation
``algorithm''
%% Eval model diagram presented here
\item First the model is presented in outline form
\item Then form processing is described
\item There are special sections on macros, special forms, functions,
variables, generic functions, methods, lambda expressions, and closures
\end{itemize}

%% Sandra, would you mind talking about this section?
\VSLIDE{Outline of section 4.2}
\begin{itemize}
\item Mostly new material generated by the compiler committee as
a result of passed and pending issues
\item Compilation semantics
\item A model of how compile-file works
\item Compiler/loader interface
\item Information about the compiler's interpretation of constants
\item Error handling
\end{itemize}

\VSLIDE{The schedule}
\begin{itemize}
\item To ISO:  Working draft as of the last week in July. Drafting committee
is planning to be done with their review/rewrite by then.
\item To X3J13: Complete document will be made available for review right
after the ISO submission. Reviewers should understand what they are reviewing
for.
\item End of comment period: Comments should be received no later than mid-
October.
\item Vote to send the document to public review: At November, 1989, meeting.
\end{itemize}

\end{document}