eval and orbit

I asked to be put on this list a couple of weeks ago and haven't
received any postings.  Here comes mine as a test.

1.  What is the rational in omitting eval from Scheme?

My program is supposed to read values of enumerated types (i.e.
symbols) and then convert the symbols to their values.  In regular
Lisp I would write (eval (read)) to get the value but how am I
supposed to do that in Scheme?  Use a mapping function from names to
values or is there a simpler way?

2.  Where can I get the Orbit Scheme compiler for my Sun-3
workstation?

	Juha Heinanen
	Tampere Univ. of Technology
	Finland