``Update functions'' in POP2.

What is POP2?

I remember SIMSCRIPT had setter functions back in the late 60's.  It
had a FORTRAN/PL/I syntax and allowed you define a function for use on
the left hand side OR the right hand side of the equal sign in an
assignment.  They also had an inheritence based type system which was
kind of neat.

Does anyone want to count Algol 60's call by name as an example of
implicit generation of setter functions?

					Seth

P.S. Any other grand old approaches/solutions to the setter problem
flopping around in your memory banks?