space/time in byte code/native code (was dynamic compilation)

In article <327@scaup.cl.cam.ac.uk> adg@cl.cam.ac.uk (Andy Gordon) writes:
>                          I found on small benchmarks that native code
>was between four and six times bigger than interpreted byte codes, and
>ran between one and seven times faster.

Another data point:  In MacScheme, native code is also four to six times
as large as interpreted byte code, but is two to ten times as fast, with
a factor of four or five being typical.

>There appear to be two reasons for hybrid systems: (1) to give a variable
>time/space tradeoff, i.e., between fast/bulky native code and slow/lean
>interpreted code; (2) to allow fancy interpretive debuggers and tracers
>in the presence of native code.
>
>I don't think reason (1) is very compelling these days, because the size of
>compiled code is not an issue with today's computers...

Here I have to disagree.  On a Macintosh, a factor of five in program size
can easily be the difference between fitting or not fitting on a floppy
disk.  The space required by a program is also a big issue under MultiFinder,
since it determines how many simultaneous applications you can run.  RAM
accounts for about a quarter of the typical Macintosh II system cost, so
five times as much RAM would double the cost.  Similarly for disk space.

I understand why some people don't count Macintoshes and IBM PCs and PS/2s
and their ilk as "today's computers", but I don't think that's realistic.

Peace, Will