Lisp compilation

I seem to remember reading or hearing about a Lisp system which did
"on-the-fly" compilation.  In particular, I believe that it compiled
specialized versions of polymorphic functions at runtime.  It would then cache
the specialized version of the code in such a way that repeated uses of the
function with the same type arguments would run more efficiently than
performing a truly polymorphic dispatch each time. Anybody out there remember
anything of this sort?  Can you give me a reference to a paper on it?

I need this information for a paper which goes to press in 1 week, so please
send any replies to me via email ASAP.  Thanks in advance,
					Morry Katz
					katz@polya.stanford.edu