benchmarking

I have copied over a version to rascal:ftp/pub/gabriel.tar.Z
[you might copy that to cli.com].

for cmulisp one must do (assuming that cmulisp is the command
to invoke cmulisp)

% make "LISP=cmulisp" "QUIT=(quit)"

since cmulisp (unlike other lisps under unix) does not exit when the
end of file is reached.  Unfortunately many makefiles depend on this.

I added the
(proclaim (quote (optimize (compilation-speed 0) (safety 0) (speed 3)
                           (debug 0))))

as you suggest.  [Note (debug 0) is not common  lisp (i don't think), and
so may cause warnings on most lisps!].    The cmulisp times are improved
by that.

I ran it in the newer akcl which is about to be released in a day
or two.   I had noted that the cmulisp was faster on the fft-mod
which surprised me, and I realized there were a few optimizations
I had left out.   Now AKCL is faster on that.

fft-mod.cl is a correctly declared version of the original fft.cl
In fact the original had conditionals for various lisps, and used
single-float for some and long-float for others and for others none
(not allowing it to compile as suggested in the note on cmu.lang.lisp).
So I have fixed the declaration to at least compile, and to use
double-float, which I think in most lisps should mean the same thing
whereas single-float and long-float might not.   (single-float  =
double-float in akcl, and long-float could mean a very long variable size
floating type size  in future).

Bill

ps: here is a rerun on the sparc2 of the with cmulisp having the
correct proclaim.

Inserting file ~/chart-lisps
---Begin File ~/chart-lisps---
On a sparcstation 2
cmulisp version 15a
akcl 605 (compiled with standard sun cc of rel 4.1.1)

              AKCL    cmulisp
BOYER        1.533     2.150
BROWSE       2.617     7.420
CTAK         1.033     0.460