Re: Common Lisp Compiler

Dear Mr. Maegawa:

We have recently begun distributing a version of the CMU Common Lisp system
(CMU CL) for Sparc processors running SunOS.  This has given our project
much wider exposure than before, when we only ran under the Mach operating
system.  Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the project is the new
compiler, named Python, developed by Rob MacLachlan over the past three
years or so.  I run the project and can answer administrative questions;
Rob can directly answer any questions about the compiler.  If you try to
run the system and have questions about other parts of CMU CL, they should
be sent to "cmucl-bugs@cs.cmu.edu", read by all of us, and the relevant
expert will try to answer.

Our system is public-domain and is freely available via anonymous FTP,
including the sources.  So there is no legal problem if you want to include
it in Lilac.  We do ask that companies who make any significant use of our
code acknowledge that fact in papers and manuals, since the only reward we
get for this work is recognition, but we have no legal way to enforce that.
I will include below the announcement we made to the "comp.lang.lisp"
newsgroup explaining details of how to get the system.

I believe that Prof. Masayuki Ida of Aoyama Gakuin University has already
obtained CMU CL and is maintaining a copy of it in Japan for the local Lisp
community.  I don't know if he has obtained the sources as well, but you
can contact him for details.

With Python, it is easier than in most systems to modify the compiler to
generate code for a new machine, but so far we have done versions only for
the Sparc, MIPS, and IBM RT processors -- all RISC machines.  We have not
thought too much about what special problems a VLIW machine might pose, but
they should not be too difficult.  Still, to port the system to a new
instruction set is a fairly major undertaking.  It will probably require 6
months or so, and some amount of advice from Rob.  We are happy to
cooperate with porting eforts, but the time we can spend is limited since
we only have three full-time staff programmers for the whole project.
(Of course, a system like Kyoto Common Lisp, which sits on top of C, can be
ported much more quickly, but at a considerable cost in performance.)

One possibility might be for someone from Sony to come here as a visitor
and work with us for a while.  That would save time, but I don't know if
that is possible for you.  If you want to explore that possibility, let me
know.  Sony just opened a big manufacturing facility in the Pittsburgh
area, and we have had some talks with Sony management about setting up some
kind of Sony research facility in Pittsburgh, but so far these talks have
not produced any definite results.

Best regards,
Scott Fahlman

Dr. Scott E. Fahlman