[no subject]

      I am suspicious that much of the satisfactory
    experience with conservative GC is in simple applications in which the
    process doesn't live a lot longer than many of the objects.

I strongly doubt that they are all of this sort.  I think some of
these systems include Lisp.

A momentary confusion cannot cause long-term memory leakage.  Only if
the confusing fixnum persists will the garbage stay alive.

      The slight degree of conservatism that we
    already have (GC doesn't know which stack slots are live) has already
    caused problems with compiler performance.

You will not have any additional problems due to use of C.  You can
easily arrange for all non-stack data-structures to be characterized
properly.