[no subject]

    One way I had hoped we could benefit from wider distribution was that we
    could get non-CMU people to port to operating systems we don't use at CMU.

For this, what is needed is network availability (your site is fine
for this) and public notice (we can publish something in the GNU's
Bulletin if you send it to lord@gnu quickly).

    What do machines do you think it is most important to support?

The 386 is by far the most important, followed by the 68k and the vax.
The HPPA may be next.  The RS6000 is not very important I would think.
The latest hot RISC chips tend to be limited to expensive machines
that not too many people can afford.