Non-Symbolics Color Systems

We have several users of Symbolics machines at our site who would
like to use color, but the prices we have been quoted from
Symbolics for a color system seem astronomical (e.g. $250,000
for a fully-loaded color system). I can't believe many people
have sprung for this equipment, but don't have any specific
instances to counter-propose.

Are there any users out there who have satisfactory color
applications for which they could describe the hardware
and costs (approx.) which allowed their application to work.
What parts of the systems had to be acquired from Symbolics?
What software did you have to write to accomodate the non-Symbolics
hardware?

Thanks beforehand.

Bob Amsler
Bellcore