Character styles

    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 87 15:44 EST
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
    I've seen similar reports.  What it has always turned out to
    be is that there were non-NIL.NIL.NIL character styles.  Typically
    what happens is that a user will have inserted text that 1looks0 the
    same as NIL.NIL.NIL, but with some of those NIL's filled in from
    whatever the default character-style he uses.  The "default default"
    is FIX.ROMAN.NORMAL, so if you have text with NIL.ROMAN.NIL, it will
    look the same as NIL.NIL.NIL so long as you don't change the default
    style
	  nil
That should be "to", not "nil".  Sorry.
	      FIX.ITALIC.NORMAL.  But it will have to undergo encoding
    to save it in the file.
The original copies of the message I received had this information
deleted in being forwarded to me, but I have verified that this
was exactly the case in the original version of the message.