SLUG library status report.

1    Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 18:30 EDT
    From: Daniel L. Weinreb <DLW@ALDERAAN.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    DECUS seems to have been quite successful in gathering a big user group
    library full of useful stuff.  Do you know why DECUS succeeded in light
    of the problems you mentioned?

0I really can't say -- I haven't seen the DECUS license agreement, nor
have I seen the copyright laws governing submissions to DECUS.  The huge
user library in DECUS might also be attributed to the size of the DEC
user community; quite a few more DEC hackers exist than do LISPM
hackers.  Even if the problems I mentioned in my last letter exist in
DECUS, perhaps they are far outweighed by the number of submissions from
other, less conservative sources.  Also, maybe we're seeing a red-tape
delay in user submissions:  Obtaining legal permission (1i.e.0 a signed
agreement) to release software can often be a long and tedious process.

--Scott