How can I rename files in LMFS just to change the alphabetic case?

    Date: Tue, 1 Dec 87 14:49 EST
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>
        Date: Tue, 1 Dec 87 14:27 EST
        From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind <Qobi@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>
        In fact, I can't think of any use for the original RENAME-FILE protocol
        which allows an already interned pathname as the new-file argument.
        What RENAME-FILE should do instead is parse (and merge) its second
        argument in case sensitive mode, irrespective of the case sensitivity
        of the host, and then later structure forward the old pathnames to the
        new ones.

    Rename File >qobi>foo.bar >barmar>foo.bar

    For this to work the second parameter must be parsed in case-insensitive
    mode in case >barmar> is actually interned as >BARMAR>.  Perhaps the
    case-sensitivity should only refer to the name and type, but not
    directory.

    Here's a different case (excuse the pun):

    Create files named Old-File.Text and FooBar.Baz.  Then "Rename File
    Old-File.Text foobar.baz.newest", which is used to turn an existing file
    into a new version of another existing file.  In this case I don't want
    to lose the capitalization just because I created the new version using
    rename instead of copy.

    The only time it is obvious that you really want a case-sensitive rename
    is when the old and new filenames are identical except for case.

I see your point. I guess that we can both agree that as far as desired policy
is concerned, there should be two forms of rename, one case sensitive, the other
case insensitive, for we have both demonstrated cases (pun intended) where each
is desirable over the other. Now if only a mechanism could be put in place to
support this policy ... (sigh!)
        Jeff