How can I rename files in LMFS just to change the alphabetic case?

One possible way to rename your files might be to rename them to
brand-new names, then cold boot, then rename them to the names you
really want them to have.  You might have to cold boot the server (or
wait until the next time it's booted) too, though.  I realize this is
ridiculously inconvenient, but the problem has gone unfixed so long
because it's very hard to fix and it's not as crucial a problem as
others.