Date: Thu, 28 Jan 88 16:35 PST
From: kao@VERMITHRAX.SCH.Symbolics.COM
Subject: Do directories get backed up?
To: Qux%GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM,
    BUG-LISPM%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM,
    customer-reports@VERMITHRAX.SCH.Symbolics.COM

    Date: Wed, 13 Jan 88 11:01 EST
    From: David H. Kaufman <Qux@GOLDILOCKS.MIT.EDU>

    I've noticed that the needs-backup flag never gets cleared on
    directories, even after a complete dump of the LMFS.  Does this mean
    that directory properties don't go on the backup tapes?  If so, this is
    a serious problem: it means that in the event of a catastrophic LMFS
    failure, followed by a restore from the backup tapes, all the directory
    acls will be lost (along with various less important properties like the
    default generation-retention-count).

Yes, your analysis is sadly, exactly correct.  While most file systems
can deal with this situation, LMFS currently cannot.  We intend to
address the problem, but not in the next release.  Thanks for
mentioning.