BINary version numbers.

I have worked on another (ahem) brand of Lispm (the TI Explorer),
where a special variable allowed me to decide how version numbers for
my binaries were chosen.  I chose always to match the version of the
source code file, overwriting when necessary.  I think it was also
possible to have the system query me before overwriting a binary file.
It would be very convenient for me to be able to do this now.  Is
there already a way to do this on my Symbolics, or do I have to do
some serious hacking on the LMFS or compiler functions?
                       Thanks,
                            ______
                            HUNTER