BINary version numbers.

    Date: Thu, 17 Mar 88 11:34:12 est
    From: Hunter Barr <barr@pineapple.bbn.com>

    I have worked on another (ahem) brand of Lispm (the TI Explorer),
    where a special variable allowed me to decide how version numbers for
    my binaries were chosen.  I chose always to match the version of the
    source code file, overwriting when necessary.  I think it was also
    possible to have the system query me before overwriting a binary file.
    It would be very convenient for me to be able to do this now.  Is
    there already a way to do this on my Symbolics, or do I have to do
    some serious hacking on the LMFS or compiler functions?

Why do you really want this feature?
Is there some reason you can't just use SCT?

You can explicitly specify the output file to COMPILER:COMPILE-FILE.  I
think that's a better option than dynamically binding a variable and
breaking all programs which assume that the binary file generated will
always be the newest version.  Is this option sufficient for you?