Defsystem (was:: BINary version numbers.)

    Date: Mon, 21 Mar 88 01:11 CST
    From: David Vinayak Wallace <Gumby@mcc.com>

	Date: Sat, 19 Mar 88 17:37 EST
	From: Jim Salem <Salem@Think.COM>

	    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 88 13:33 CST
	    From: David Vinayak Wallace <Gumby@mcc.com>

	    Why don't you use DEFSYSTEM?

	For me this is because:

	 1) It is not in the public domain (I can only use it on Symbolics LISPMs).

    So use the public-domain version.  Overloading version numbers can't
    solve the problem of figuring out what sources correspond with which
    binaries.

How do I get a public domain version ?  Is the MIT one public domain ?  Unfortunately, the
MIT one isn't in CL and is (gross generalization) far too hairy and ('nuther gross
generalization) doesn't do everything we need.

In any case, I have no disagreement with your comments on overloading file version
numbers.

-- jim