Mail address hacks

     I know I asked this a while ago, but I'm still itching for an
answer.  Does anyone have a hack that permits the notion of a "nickname"
for mail addresses?  I'd rather not have to modify the mailbox file on
our mail server... a local hack would be better.

     For example, wouldn't it be nice to simply type

     ^Bob

     Instead of

     bob%oz.ai.mit.edu@xx.lcs.mit.edu ?

     I imagine this is a real easy hack, what with single-character
macros and all.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Mailer
source, so writing this simple address hack is quite difficult.

     Any tips, tidbits, or other pointers would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Scott