world management and patches

    Date: Mon, 20 Jun 88 15:47 EDT
    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

    When Customer Support mails me a fixed version of something in the Color
    system, how can I make it be loaded by "Load Patches Color"?  I can't
    make defsystem-style patches to the Color system, because I'm not at the
    maintaining site.  Even if I override that, I then have a problem if
    Symbolics sends me an ECO tape that includes patches to that system,
    since I will have used a minor version number that duplicates one of
    yours; this is the reason for the warning when I try to patch a system
    not maintained at this site.

						    barmar

A useful addition to the patch commands in Zmacs would be a command to
package patch sources and the new patch-dir into a mail message and
another command to unpack this message and create the appropriate files
in the patch directory.

I've been thinking about this for a month or so, but haven't had the
time.  (Yeah, but of course we've had the time to manually package these
things up, mail them, and unpack them about three or four dozen times now!)

Jerry.