si:reorder-memory in Genera 7.2

    Date: Fri 8 Jul 88 08:34:17-CDT
    From: LRC.OPPENHEIM@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (Jennifer Oppenheim)

    I recently installed Genera 7.2 on our machines.  I also built a
    utilities incremental world (TCP, Print, etc.) on top of the Genera
    7.2 world, without doing any optimizing of the world.  On top of the
    utilities world, I then built a rather large (45,800 blocks)
    incremental world with the software we develop here.  The software
    calls si:reorder-memory after everything is loaded.  Doing this with
    Genera 7.2 increased the world size by 10,000 blocks.  This seems
    pretty radical.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  Can anyone tell me
    why this might happen?

    Thanks very much.

When all else fails, you could read the documentation:

       1You should use 2si:reorder-memory1 on IDS worlds only if the3 1parent
0       1world has itself been optimized or if the parent world does3 1not need
0       1optimizing. If you violate this rule, your IDS worlds will3 1be consider-
0       1ably larger than they need to be. If you follow the3 1rule, 2si:reorder-
0       2memory1 does not increase the size of the IDS3 1world.

0       1Distribution worlds are optimized. Site-configured worlds which3 1have
0       1only had Set Site done on them (and no systems loaded) do3 1not need
0       1to be optimized.

0My comments on this documentation were that the word "significantly"
should have been added to the end of the first paragraph.  Apparently my
comments were not incorporated.  In general, it is not uncommon for
optimized worlds to be up 10% larger than unoptimized worlds.  Exactly
how much larger depends on lots of things I'd rather not go into.