tape bug

I was puzzled when our machines couldn't read carry tapes that they had
dumped.  They kept saying that the list of items dumped could not be
found.  I poked around a bit and noticed that carry-load made sure a
certain symbol read was eq to :dump-list.  The symbol it was testing was
:|dump-list|.  This bug resulted because print-plist called princ to
dump :dump-list.  The print function for symbols looks at the special
si:*princase* to see how to print them.  If this variable is set to
:downcase during a carry dump, the tape cannot be read.  When I set it
to :upcase during the dump, the tape can be read.  How's that for
obscure?