ADS Arlington Office Dialnet connection going down...

	From: grover@POTOMAC.ADS.COM (Mark D. Grover)
	Newsgroups: mail.info-slug
	Subject: DialNet registry

	Due to a rapidly shrinking number of projects using Symbolics
	equipment, we are losing another of our leased machines.  This
	time, the reconfiguration will involve major disk swaps putting
	Monticello (our main LISPM server in our Arlington office) out
	of commission for at least a few days beginning August 9.
	Users who attempt to reach us via DialNet will get no
	response.  Our ARPAnet connection is unaffected.

Hi guys.  I'm the SA at this site and so far it looks like we'll be
out of the Dialnet business for good unless I can find a cost-effective
substitute for the CDS modem which we were leasing.

I've got some code which Bill Anderson at Gould Intelligent Systems
wrote which uses Hayes modems instead of the CDS modems that Symbolics
software requires.  This might do the trick but it will take some hacking.
At any rate I wouldn't count on us being on Dialnet for a while starting
August 19th.

	On a side note, it might be more efficacious for someone who uses
	Dialnet more regularly than we do now to consider volunteering to be
	national user group DialNet coordinator in my place.  This would
	assure more timely testing of new sites and new software than I have
	had occasion to provide lately.  Those interested are encouraged to
	contact me.

I strongly urge someone to take over this responsiblity.  Please.  Mark
Grover, our National Dialnet maven, can be found at work by calling
(703) 243-1611.

Enjoy!