MacIvory prices

    Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 13:08 EDT
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

	Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 10:44 EDT
	From: SWM@sapsucker.scrc.symbolics.com (Scott McKay)

	    Date: Thu, 1 Sep 88 22:20 CDT
	    From: Gumby@MCC.COM (David Vinayak Wallace)

		Date: Thu, 1 Sep 88 15:57:12 EDT
		From: sterling@cims.nyu.edu (John Sterling)
								   Unfortunately, we
		are told there is an additional $8k for the "MacIvory Devlopement
		Software."

	    What's in the "development" package that's not in the delivery package?
	    EVAL, perhaps?  (only a semi-joke -- a certain mac implementation
	    features EVAL as a seperately loadable package).

	Zwei.  Zmail.  The Debugger.  Metering.  Most of the compiler.  You get
	the idea...

    How do you take out the debugger?  What does it do when the application
    gets an error?

Um, you're misquoting me here.  Here's the rest of my reply again:

"In fact, the ultimate delivery package contains very little except for
the operating system itself (paging, GC, scheduler, etc.), Symbolics
Common Lisp, and the user-interface support.  In reality, each delivery
application will have special requirements which will necessitate
additional pieces of Genera being included."

The answer is "some applications may need the Debugger, and some may
not."  Besides, the condition system is not the debugger.  When an
"application gets an error", it could handle the condition itself, no?

    In fact, many of us consider the debugger to be part of the OS.  We use
    ERROR-RESTART and depend on the debugger to let the user restart using
    proceed options.

    Also, when you said "Zwei", I hope you meant "Zmacs".  I imagine there
    are many applications that use Zwei standalone editor windows for
    accepting input from the user, and I can't see why you wouldn't want
    these to port to MacIvory delivery environments.