Re: A burning issue

    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 19:03 EDT
    From: miller@acorn.cs.rochester.edu (Brad Miller)

	Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 11:27 EDT
	From: JSP@IBM.COM (J. Scott Penberthy)

	I only intended for Symbolics to determine whether a given message
	contains "company secrets" (read: source that they don't want released
	to the general public).  The patches would be offered on an as-is basis,
	where comments can be made via the 1lispm-patches0 mailing list.

    The point I was trying to make is that if the two parties already have
    source licences, these source secrets are available to them already, and
    thus should not require Symbolics blessing to transfer changes to these
    sources between them.

Not necessarily.  What if someone works out a special deal with
Symbolics to get some sources that aren't normally distributed?  For
example, Symbolics doesn't distribute the sources to the Fortran
compiler, but at one time we were talking to them about getting them so
that we could convert it to a CM Fortran compiler (this never happened).
Patches to such products should not be sent to other customers.

The other problem is that there are different levels of source license.
Some customers only have Basic sources, while others have purchased the
Optional sources.

                                                barmar