Re: sick disk

    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 16:04:25 CDT
    From: walls%ssl.span@Fedex.Msfc.Nasa.Gov

    Greetings!  I wonder if someone could help me.  My 3620 has gone belly
    up, and has been that way for a while.  At power on, the FEP prompt comes
    up fine, and the disk makes its normal(?) awful noises.  When I try to do
    a HELLO, though, the machine comes back with a "Drive not ready during unit
    select" and goes no further.  This is on a 3620 with two Maxor XT-2190
    190 MB drives and a tape drive.

Try doing a directory listing on the second drive. You can do this before
the hello, and will not select the first drive. If you get the listing, your
disk is bad. I've had 2 disks go bad on my 20 in this manner.

    Also, what about installing my own second drive in my single drive 3620.
    Are such user mods a serious no no?  That machine is still under maintenance.

We've had no problems doing stuff like this. They won't fix problems you
have with the drive though, you may have to "prove" it's a controller
problem or in the drive you have on maintainance. You can also put the
uinstallit drive on maintainance, but then you pay for a service call (I
think) for them to come out and inspect it, so you may as well have had them
install it.
----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}