Re: Welcome to SLUG mailing list

   From: pan@Athena.Pangaro.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Paul Pangaro)

   Where is your sense of humor, Bruce?

My apologies.  If your original message was intended to be humorous, then I
obviously missed that and I apologize.  If we had been face to face and I
could see your expressions and hear your tone of voice when you said that,
then I would have realized that it was intended to be humorous.  But over
just written text it's a lot harder to convey subtle humour.

Also, I've seen so many religious flames of "My <X> is better than your
<X>" on the net, for almost any <X>, that it seemed to me that your
comments were of the same ilk.  I had read your note on friday morning when
I first got it and it appeared to me to be serious.  I replied about 12
hours later, after having re-read your note, so I wasn't just flying
off the handle in the spur of the moment.

My purpose in sending my note was not to start a flame war or anything, but
to make a case for reasonableness and to cut off any machine-bashing on
this list, something I don't consider appropriate.  If that wasn't what you
were doing, then I'm sorry.

Bruce