NeXT ...

   Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 13:37 EDT
   From: miller@cs.rochester.edu (Brad Miller)
   Sender: miller@cs.rochester.edu
   Postal-Address: 610 CS Building, Comp Sci Dept., U. Rochester,
		   Rochester NY 14627
   Phone: 716-275-1118

       Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 10:38:44 EDT
       From: buff%pravda@gatech.edu (Richard Billington)

       I don't suppose that Symbolics has any ideas about the
       three NuBus slots inside that black cube. Seeing as the
       NeXT comes with 8 Mb of memory already, Symbolics would
       have to add even less than they do for MacII. Also, the
       NuBus supposedly runs 2.5 times as fast as a MacII.

   Some side issues: it's an open question whether the NeXT really supports a
   nubus at all, since nubus is TTL and the NeXT bus is CMOS.

   Also note: their optical disk is WAY too slow for paging or swapping; adding
   real disk drives the cost up again to the point it may not be worth much
   over a Mac II or some impending 68030 machines. Also, their display uses
   Postscript instead of X, implying lots of software just won't work;
   Symbolics (and TI for that matter) have both announced they will be making
   their software X compatible, implying they would have to have a "machine
   dependant" version...

   ----
   Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
   miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}

FYI:

The info that I have says that it isn't quite a NuBus.  This says:

Hardware:
backplane-based system, 4 slots, each has room for a 10.5" x 10.5" pc
board.  Bus is like NuBus but cards have a different form factor and bus is
run at 25MHz instead of the NuBus 10MHz.

Also, the price that I have for the real disk is: 330MB SCSI Disk for
$2000.

--Dan Aronson
dan@think.com