Re: Calling Customer Service for bad sectors

    Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 10:26 EST
    From: JR@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com (Johanna Rothman)

	Date: Sun, 20 Nov 88 20:54 PST
	From: York@Chuck-Jones.ILA-West.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM (William M. York)

	    Date: Sun, 20 Nov 88 18:56:25 CST
	    From: forbus@p.cs.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Forbus)

		    The tools in sys:n-fep;fix-fep-block.lisp can splice out
		    bad blocks and generally repair things.

	    Well, the only thing I have in sys:n-fep; is a bunch of flod files.
	    So I don't seem to have these tools.

	I think that they were distributed with the 7.2 sources, but I could be
	wrong.

    Sorry, the file was missed in the 7.2 distribution.  It will be on the
    next ECO tape.

What's the difference between this missing file and
SYS:L-SYS;FEP-FIX-BLOCKS.LISP?  I believe this latter file was included
with the basic distribution.

Of course, these tools are not much use in the problem that sparked this
discussion.  They are Lisp, and he can't even do a Hello.  The problem
may be in the FEP directory (does Show Directory work at all?), and
there are no directory repair tools I know of (although by setting
breakpoints at appropriate places in SI:VERIFY-FEP-FILESYSTEM and then
manually reading and writing directory blocks I've managed to splice out
some bad directory blocks -- it's a royal pain, though).

                                                barmar