Re: [Spock@SAMSON.cadr.dialnet.symbolics.com: IFU]

    Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 08:46 PST
    From: DE@PHOENIX.SCH.Symbolics.COM (Doug Evans)

	Date: Thu, 1 Dec 88 13:51 PST
	From: TYSON@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM (Mabry Tyson)

	[ . . . . ]

	At least some people within Symbolics know there are problems.  I seriously
	doubt that anything will be done about it (I don't like it, but that may
	just be life).

    We do know about it ... there is even sustaining engineering still being
    applied to iron it out.

Any idea as to when I can expect a fix?  My frustruation has reached the
point of trying to get my MC back.  We paid for an IFU when we ordered
the 3600 and it would be nice to have what we paid for but it *MUST* be
reliable.

			It's sorta like the decision not to put an Ivory card out
	to fit in the L-Bus machines.  Not enough manpower nor enough market.

    Also, it's pretty difficult to squeeze performance out of a 40bit
    computer with a 32bit address space when it has to use a bus structure
    with 36bit datapaths and 24bit addresspaths.

Looks like addition to me.