Re: Bootleg drives?

    Date: Sat, 21 Jan 89 00:35:14 PDT
    From: gyro@kestrel.arpa (Scott B. Layson)

       Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 07:19 EST
       From: dale@JAZZ.alcoa.com (Dale Shanefelt)

       The type of drives that are in a 3620 are either Maxtor xt2190 (190
       MB) or xt1140 (140 MB).

    I thought I read something on this list a while ago about the Maxtor
    XT4380 (380 Mb) becoming available for the 3620.

This, at least, is true, they gave us a quote recently. Note the fep will
also support the 760MB version of this ESDI drive. If you are currently
running ST506 drives though (the 190mb maxstors), you will have to upgrade
your controllers, and be running the g208 version PROMS on your machine.

The minus is, they want more for the 380mb drive than the 760mb drive costs
third party. Having them create the IFS tape and pick it up under
maintainance costs little more than the standard installation fee ($250.
academic), and is worth looking into.

----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}