gc-by-area and host uptimes

    Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 11:19 PST
    From: K. Mark Alexander <kma@SAMSON.CADR.DIALNET.SYMBOLICS.COM>

    I believe that he is referring to the fact that when your program
    generates code that is to be compiled you need to make sure that the
    forms aren't too big for the compiler.  Otherwise the compiler barfs
    informing you that you have exceeded the operand limit or some such
    thing.  I was told (some years ago) that this was a hardware
    limitation(?) not a bug.  Yes, I have developed a workaround solution
    but it would seem that a lisp compiler should be able to handle large
    "machine-generated" forms.

We now consider it a bug when the compiler can't work around these
hardware limitations.  The Ivory releases (and the next 3600 release)
improve the situation some for the frame size limitation (Ivory's
maximum frame size is less than half the 3600's) but the bug still
exists.  As time permits, we will work on doing better.