are dynamic windows really 60X slower than old windows?!

I measured the time to do draw 240 rectangles (with :DRAW-RECTANGLE) and 80
strings (with :DRAW-STRING) to a DW:DYNAMIC-WINDOW. It took 20 seconds!

Then I did the same thing to a TV:WINDOW. It took .35 seconds.

Could dynamic windows really be that slow? Surely not possible. I must be doing
something wrong. Is there a trick to bring graphics speed to a dynamic window to
at least within a factor of 2 of a static window?