Killing File Control Connections.

Every time one of our Symbolics connects via FTP to our Ultrix VAX, a
file control connection is left open for 30 minutes.  Unfortunately, we
are charged for our total connect time to that VAX.  If I happen to do a
file transfer once every half hour or so, I could (and have) easily ring
up mucho dollars.

Is there anyway to tell the Symbolics to close the file control
connection as soon as the request I've made is completed?  I found the
variable FS:*DEFAULT-FILE-CONTROL-CONNECTION-LIFETIME* which is set to
30 minutes (in 60ths of a second).  I did set it low (30 seconds), but
I'm concerned that if I happen to be doing a large file transfer, that a
low value might cut the connection before it was through.

Steve