Pinouts wanted on console cable and mouse

    Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 07:36:18 mdt
    From: intvax!drstrip@unmvax.cs.unm.edu

    We have made some of our own very long cables for the symbolics using
    the wire recommended by Symbolics in the GSA price book. (Strange source
    for technical info).

We tried to make sure this info got into the customer's hand's as soon
as possible in the ordering process.  We also put it into the standard
Sales catalog and in our Service technical literature.

			  Anyway, we get a lot of noise in the sound (it has to be
    turned off to tolerate the machine). The overall cable  (4 twisted pairs) is
    shielded, but the pairs aren't. Does anyone know the pinout to the
    connector so that we can go to pairwise shielded cable and solve this
    problem? (The local service says that all machines with non-Symbolics
    extension cables seem to suffer this problem.)

In my experience, this problem has always been miswired connectors.  We
have at least a hundred of these installations with lengths of up to
1000ft with proper operation when wired correctly.

If you're using the recommended Belden cable, then your cable has a
drain wire (no insulation) and four twisted pairs, each pair having a
numbered black and red wire; i.e. 1-black/1-red, 2-black/2-red ... and
so on.  The wires in all boxes should be connected a shown:

   ______________________________
  |                        ___  |
  |   Wallbox             | 9 |-+------- GND (sheild drain wire)
  |     PCBA              | 8 |-+------- Audio Serial RXD + (4 red)
  |                       | 7 |-+------- Audio Serial RXD - (4 black)
  |                       | 6 |-+------- Console Serial RXD + (3 red)
  |                       | 5 |-+------- Console Serial RXD - (3 black)
  |                       | 4 |-+------- Audio Serial TXD + (2 red)
  |                       | 3 |-+------- Audio Serial TXD - (2 black)
  |                       | 2 |-+------- Console Serial TXD + (1 red)
  |                       |_1_|-+------- Console Serial TXD - (1 black)
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |_____________________________|

Note that the serial pairs for digital audio are interleaved with the
serial pairs for console serial.  Keyboard data is received by the CPU
over the Console Serial RXD lines.  Serial data for the console serial
port is sent over the Console Serial TXD lines.  Digital Audio for the
console is sent over the Audio Serial TXD lines.  If wires for pins 2&3
or 4&5 are mixed up, then console serial data and carriers from the CPU
or console are connected to the digital audio lines, resulting in noise
on the console speaker.  It is possible to mess up lines, resulting in
noise, and still have the console appear to operate correctly.

    Trackball: I would prefer a trackball to the mouse.  Does anyone know
    a Symbolics compatible unit? Barring that, I have a cooperative
    source for a trackball, but I need the pinout and interface type
    (RS-232?) for the mouse.

The interface is in the console on a microprocessor.  All we send in
from the mouse is debounced switch signals and the four quadrature
signals from the two motion encoders.  All signals and power are on an
8pin modular connector with the following pinout:

    ____
   | +-- sw 1
   | +-- sw 0
 __| +-- +5V
|    +-- Down
|__  +-- Ground
   | +-- Up
   | +-- Left
   | +-- Right
   |____

The buttons are debounced and encoded in the mouse such that:

  Left       = 3 = sw 0 and sw 1 high
  Middle     = 2 = sw 0 low and sw 1 high
  Right      = 1 = sw 0 high and sw 1 low
  no buttons = 0 = sw 0 and sw 1 low

When the mouse is moved vertically, there are signals on both the up and
down lines ... their relative phase determines direction and frequency
determines speed.  The same thing occurs with the left and right signals
when the mouse is moved horizontally.

Hope all this helps.