Forwarding hosts in mail addresses

    Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 14:55:17 EDT
    From: MILLER@vax.cam.nbs.gov

    Apparently a number of mailers will accept the following syntax:
      @FORWARDING_HOST:USER_NAME@HOST.DOMAIN
    meaning that you want to send mail to USER_NAME@HOST.DOMAIN
    but send it via FORWARDING_HOST.  The point presumably being
    that the local host doesnt know about HOST (ie doesnt have
    the full domain service running), but FORWARDING_HOST will
    be able to figure it out.

    This works on suns and even the EXLAN mailer on vax/vms
    (with a little syntactic sugar).  However, the LM chokes on
    the initial `@'.   Does anybody know how to make this work,
    or an alternate syntax?

    Background: Our vax can get to internet. we communicate with
    the vax using DNA. We want to get TCP/IP (which would obviously
    solve all this, or at least change the problem set), but not
    this FY.  What I want to do is send mail on internet directly from
    my comfortable LM, even if I've got to kludge the address a bit.
    Currently, I've got to log onto the VAX to send it.

			    Thank you
			    Bruce Miller
			    MILLER@VAX.CAM.NBS.GOV

Hope you didn't try to use the address format in my first reply; I didn't read
your message carefully enough.

The Symbolics mail utilities support the syntax
user_name%host.domain@forwarding-host to do what you've asked.  We use this
all the time.

 -- Chuck Fry
    Symbolics Software Support