backups

  Hello,

        As everybody we do some backups of our lisp-machines. We consider
that it is enough to backup only the directories of the users, which are
spread over several machines. Unhappily, the backup command refuses to put
on a backup files which do not come from the host it is being executed.
This forces us to do one backup by machine, what we consider a huge waste
of tapes. I didn't find any information about how to do "simultaneously"
several backups on the same tape. By simutaneously I mean, several backups
done sequentially, but which co-exist on the same tape instead of replacing
each other. I know that there is a "restart pathname" argument in the backup
arglist, but I do not know if this is really useful for my purpose. Does
anyone know how to do this ?

        E. Baechler
        BAECHLER@ELMA.EPFL.CH