Re: Unix symbolic links.

    Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89  15:24:31 MDT
    From: snicoud@atc.boeing.com (Stephen Nicoud)

    I'm using a sun as the file server for a system I'm developing on the
    Symbolics.  When I compile the system, the Symbolics complains when
    trying to access the system directory files.  I believe it has to do
    with the fact that one of the directory names for the pathname where my
    system's files are stored is a symbolic link.

    To prevent the problem, I've put the fully expanded directory spec in
    the logical-pathname-host declaration, but I'd much rather use the
    symbolic links.  Any ideas?

    Steve

[I've added CUSTOMER-REPORTS.  Such problems such as this should go there.
Of course, they should only respond to sites with software maintenance!]

It isn't just Unix symbolic links that have such problems.  We have a
system whose source files (on a LISPM) in the default system directory are
links to files in another directory.  I don't compile that system so I
can't say what problems there are during compilation, but I do know that
when I try to write the system to a distribution tape, those files that
are links elsewhere aren't found.  (The system then presumes they are
now deleted files.)