Request for MAC/Ivory info

Gary M. Palter writes:
>    Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 10:27 EDT
>    From: pan@Athena.Pangaro.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Paul Pangaro)
>
>    A quite remote user writes:
>
>    What is the latest on the best Mac to acquire for running MacIvory? On
>    the face of it, MaxIIx seems to be the one; but I hear that there is
>    a much faster MacIIcr coming out in a few weeks. The urgent question:
>    does the Ivory run on the MacIIcr --- which I believe is a 33MHz version
>    of the 6 slot MacIIx.
>
>There's no such machine as the one described above.  To my knowledge,
>there's no imminent announcement of such a machine either.
>
>The only newly announced machine is the IIci.  Due to architectural
>changes in that machine, MacIvory needed some software changes in order
>to coexist with the machine.  Said changes will be part of Genera 8.0.

For a Mac Ivory configuration you need 4 Nubus slots (Ivory board, Memory
board, Ethernet Board and Video Board)...

There are only 3 Nubus slot in the IIci. But the machine can support
*some* monitors without an added Video board (BW Apple, Color Apple,
and Single Page Apple)...  That means that you will have to use one of
these "small" monitors which are supported by the IIci-cpu board... or
run without Ethernet... Which make the configuration much less
interesting... Am I right, or am I missing something (like the memory
is now on the Ivory board itself) ?

>    How much SIMM memory does one need to be impressive? What are the
>    fastest SCSI disks? What monitors are best?

The SIMM memory is not used by the Ivory Board, although it is used by
the Mac CPU to run the application which "interacts" with the Ivory
board. I think the application require 1 mega byte, so 2 mega is
necessary if you want to run Multifinder.

Felix