lisp -> C

Fred,

One case study which you might be interested in is Inference's
translation of ART to C from Lisp.  This case is especially
interesting because, as I understand it, they did it twice.  The first
time was some short of straight translation (which didn't work very
well).  The second time was a complete rewrite (which seems to be
working well).  Inference has been fairly open with us about time and
space gains, so they might be able to help you.

Sorry that I can only give you a pointer, not any firsthand data.

Cheers,
Chunka