Would like to build a large SCANNED documnentation database accesable on the Symbolics???

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 15:46 PDT
From: Eric Buckman <BUCKMAN@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Would like to build a large SCANNED documnentation database accesable on the Symbolics???
To: slug@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM
cc: Tomh@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM, gene-o@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM,
    kendall@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM, kim@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

I notice in the Symbolics 1989 Anual Report p.6:
	"....Alcoa has been able to put over 10,0000 pages of hardcopy
documentation on-line.  This document database forms the core of what is now
known as EGADS (Electronic Guidance and Documentation System).  The scanned
documents are compiled on a Symbolics 3650 ........"

We are in the middle of looking at loading in alot hardcopy for access in ZMAIL.
Does anybody have any suggestions on SCANNING???  The scanners that seem to be
around here are evidently more trouble than they are worth.  The Optical
Character Recognition (OCR) is so bad that the users say its easier to just type
the documents in INSTEAD of scanning them.

Anybody know anything about what Alcoa did (It sounds like they scanned their
documents), or know who I should contact at Alcoa to ask.

Thanks much for the info.

Eric Buckman (Buckman@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com)

tel. 805-295-4792