Re: Two quick questions

    Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 11:28:45 -0400
    From: kanderso@DINO.BBN.COM

      Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 19:08 EDT
      From: Tom Mitchell <tmitchel@vax.bbn.com>
      Subject: Two quick questions
      To: slug@warbucks.ai.sri.com, 3600-users@vax.bbn.com

      I have two quick (I hope) questions.

      1.  Is "Enable IDS" still necessary in boot files?
	  I believe this was used to allow you to save incremental
	  worlds, but it doesn't seem necessary any more.  True?

    You want the Enable IDS in the hello.boot file.

Sorry this isn't right.  Enable IDS only works after you say "Load
World".  It sets a flag in the world you have just loaded.  This flag is
stored in the saved world, so when you next boot that world you don't
need to set it again if you want to make another IDS.

The reason why it is no longer necessary to say "Enable IDS" (so your
"fix" is a no-op) is that Symbolics ships Genera with the flag set now.
The reason why it was necessary to say "Enable IDS" (after "Load World")
in 7.0 is that Symbolics was not yet completely sure IDS worked
correctly at that time (it affects the way the entire paging system
works), so the world was shipped with the flag turned off.

    The boot file should contain only what is needed to boot the world.
    For example, this loads a file on the local fep:

    Load World FEP1:>enhanced-pci-from-pci.load.1
    Start

Yes, this is a good idea.  Actually, my boot files are something like
this:

[Hello.boot]
  Scan ...
  Initialize Hardware Tables
  Set Chaos Address ...
  Set LMFS FSPT Unit
  Find IDS Files ...
  Declare Paging ...

[Boot.boot]
  Clear Machine
  Load Microcode
  Boot FEP0:>Fast.boot

[Fast.boot]
  Load World ...
  Start

The "Boot" command sets the default boot file pathname, so when I want
to boot again, I can just say "Boot" with no arguments, and it will just
do the Load World and Start commands.

    This does netbooting:

    Load World fep1:>Netboot-Core-from-Genera-7-2.load
    Set World-to-netboot inc-clos-from-incbase-fccbmp.load
    Start

I believe you can also say

  Netboot inc-clos-from-incbase-fccbmp
  Start

although it has been so long since I was working at a site with more
than one machine I have forgotten.